Friday, March 28, 2014

It's Okay to Sound like a Fool: just learn from it!

I sound like a fool a lot; make no mistake about that.  I say things that, in my head, seem to make perfect sense to me, but upon vocalizing them and/or seeing others' responses to my statements, I quickly realize the ignorance in my words.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want to nor do I try to sound like a fool.  I am not intentionally trying to offend anyone, but the reality to my, and everyone's, life is that we do not--no CANNOT--know everything.  But we can learn from one another and those who do know things we don't. You see, for that very reason, I often times seek out situations and conversations in which I KNOW I will sound like a fool not because I want to sound like a fool but because I want to learn from those who don't sound like fools on that given topic.

Whether most teachers realize it or not, they probably agree with the overall sentiment of that first paragraph.  They are generally willing to take a risk and enter into conversations about an instructional strategy they have never tried, a text they have never read, or a policy about which they don't know anything simply as a means of learning.  The general idea being that through talking, listening, and getting feedback on their own underdeveloped thoughts, they can and will grow in an area in which they don't currently know much.  So, why does this strategy of using conversations to grow our understandings tend to stop when the topic of race comes up?  Schools, as a whole, tend to avoid these conversations for the fear of a teacher saying something "wrong" or sounding "foolish"; however, with almost all other topics, this same strategy is at the center of how we grow.

While I am FAR from an expert on race, I do know one thing: I love having conversations about it (even if it means that I unintentionally say something stupid or perhaps offend someone) because I know that through talking about race I can learn about race.  Through reading about race (I am currently reading and loving Why are all the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? by Beverly Tatum), I can learn things about myself and others that I didn't even know I needed to learn.

However, none of this can happen by avoiding the conversations on race--by refusing to explore my own prejudices and others' reactions to those prejudices.  I am proud to admit that I have been in conversations about race and said things that were so narrow-minded that others were offended; however, because they knew that my narrow mindedness was coming from a place of ignorance and not hatred, they were able to coach me through my thoughts and help me making meaning of situations in society I otherwise couldn't understand.  I have asked questions about race and about being black that made me sound like a complete fool, but as a result and because I was coming from a place of ignorance, I grew to more deeply understand race and racism than I ever could by simply thinking I am colorblind and life is great or ignoring it all together.

So, I challenge you (as I continually challenge myself) to seek out difficult and uncomfortable conversations on race, participate openly and honestly (even if you say something "stupid"), embrace your ignorance as a means of growth, and listen critically to what others are saying.  I promise you, the personal growth will be well worth it.




No comments:

Post a Comment